Nordic Walking combines the simplicity and accessibility of walking with simultaneous core and upper body conditioning, similar to Nordic Skiing.
There are a variety of ways to engage with Nordic Walking on Dartmoor, and I offer options for all levels of experience and ability.
If you are new to Nordic Walking, you will need to learn the technique before you can join regular walks.
If you have already learned the technique, you can join any of my regular walks on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Saturday.
See the Technique in Action
Nordic Walking uses specially designed poles to help enhance your natural walking, by planting the poles behind you to propel you forward – unlike Trekking where your poles are generally in front of you, being used primarily for balance. The result is a full-body work out and, because it doesn’t feel like hard work, you will be happy to walk further for longer.
The many benefits include:
- relief of pain in joints from arthritis or joint replacements
- help with breathing related conditions, such as COPD and asthma
- improvement in mental health through the combination of exercise and time outdoors.
- burning up to 46% more calories
- release of tension in the neck and shoulders
- improvement in posture and gait
- strengthening of your back and abdominals
- reduced impact on the joints